Friday, August 21, 2020

Focus On The Good

 

I've noticed on Youtube a looming trend of people who not only criticize corporate "pop" culture, but have grown to hate it. I know this feeling, because I reached that point in the 1970s, and promised myself that I would never own a TV set. I never have.

Still, I would urge these people to keep something else in mind: tearing apart lousy films and TV shows might reveal to us details of technique and of our unconfronted needs as humans, but eventually, we have to face our needs; we have to find things we can support as alternatives to corporate crap.

 

To these people I would say -- Turn off the TV set. Forget these modern films. World cinema has been with us for more than a century, and we have piles of treasure waiting for attention. Not only films: take a leap into the long history of art and fiction, poems and plays, essays and comic strips, paintings and symphonies.

Why focus on the new, when you could focus instead on the good?

 

1 comment:

Torin M. said...

"Why focus on the new, when you could focus instead on the good?"

Well said! I'm happy to say I got past the "new" obsession with music and books. Never been much of a TV/film fan, but my girlfriend and I have been watching several black & white things of late.