Friday, December 27, 2019

Not So Much Lousy As Limiting



I often read that we should not compare and contrast ourselves with other people. This advice turns out to be not so much lousy as limiting, because comparisons and contrasts give us perspective on our abilities.

To that end, I think it makes good sense to contrast our methods and techniques with approaches used by skilled people. In 1907, Vaughan Williams asked if his instrumental textures were as clear as Ravel's; he knew the answer was, "Of course not," and so he became a student of the French composer. I ask myself if my similes and metaphors are as down-to-earth as John Webster's, realize the answer is No, and for that reason study his work.

The more specific these comparisons and contrasts, the better stand the odds for improvement. Even if we cannot salvage what we are, we might enhance what we do.

No comments: